|Home > About the Society > Reserving the Hall > Terms|
Below is the general language of the contract all organizations wishing to reserve the Hall must sign. Upon receipt of a reservation request, the Reservations Coordinator will mail a contract to that organization’s dedicated contact person. No organization will be allowed to use the Hall until a signed contract has been returned to the Reservations Coordinator.
Terms and Conditions
THE JEFFERSON LITERARY AND DEBATING SOCIETYat the
University of Virginia
Reservations and Authorization for the use of Jefferson Hall, Hotel C on the West Range
The Jefferson Society is authorized by the University to make reservations and charge appropriate fees for the use of Jefferson Hall. Such fees will include security deposit, usage, and damage to the facility. Jefferson Hall is available for use on a first-come, first-served and as-is basis. It must be reserved through the Resident of Room Seven, West Lawn at the University of Virginia. This form shall represent agreement to abide by the rules below. The Jefferson Society and the Room Seven Resident reserve the right to modify reservations made for Jefferson Hall at any time.
1. In accordance with federal and state laws and University policy, the University does not discriminate on the basis of age, citizenship, color, handicap, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a disabled veteran or veterans of the Vietnam era.
2. I, as a representative of my Organization, understand that for my reservation, the following conditions apply:
3. I, or the group I represent, will be responsible for adherence to all appropriate federal, state, and local statutes, and all appropriate University regulations, including the University alcohol policy (see University Record for policy). It is further understood that only University Union or University Dining Services may sell food or beverages on grounds.
4. The sponsor is responsible for properly checking the age identification of all persons seeking admittance to the event with alcohol. Unless the event has been properly approved by the Dean of Students Office, all in attendance must be at least 21 years of age. I, or the group I represent, will be responsible for removing any and all of our equipment used during the event. The Jefferson Society cannot be responsible for anything left in Jefferson Hall.
5. Amplified music and dancing are not allowed in Jefferson Hall except with the expressed written consent of the Room Seven Resident. Under no circumstances are candles, other open flames or smoking of any type allowed in Jefferson Hall.
6. Any furniture that is moved must be returned to its original position, including all chairs and tables.
7. The red chair, the President’s table, and the United States and Virginia Flags may not be used or moved under any circumstances. The two tables in the right and left corners of the Hall may not be moved but may be used if covered with cloths or similar coverings.
8. Following the event’s conclusion, all windows shall be closed and locked, all lights turned off and the front door tightly closed. The side door must remain closed at all times and secured by the wooden slat.
9. I, or the group I represent, will be responsible for cleaning Jefferson Hall upon completion of the event. This includes removing all trash from the floors and tables and disposing of used trash bags in the disposal bin at the end of the alley to the right of the Hall. If using a caterer, it remains my responsibility to see that the Hall is clean by the end of the reservation.
10. The Jefferson Society can in no way be held responsible for violations of federal, state or local statutes, including University of Virginia alcohol policy, that may occur within Jefferson Hall during the course of my event.
11. It is agreed and understood that the Jefferson Society, the University of Virginia, and the Commonwealth of Virginia will not be liable for any bodily injury or property damage resulting from the negligence of the Organization or individuals using Jefferson Hall.
12. Failure to abide by these rules may result in forfeiture of my security deposit and loss of future use privileges. The Jefferson Society reserves the right to seek redress for any damage done to Jefferson Hall or its contents during the course of my reservation.
13. FIRE MARSHALL’S WARNING: ALL EVENTS IN JEFFERSON HALL MUST BE PRECEDED BY AN ANNOUNCEMENT EXPLAINING THAT SMOKING IS PROHIBITED AND THAT, IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, THE ONLY EXIT IS IN THE REAR OF THE HALL. THE SIDE DOOR IS NOT AN EXIT.
Although this organization has members who are University of Virginia students and may have University employees associated or engaged in its activities and affairs, the organization is not a part of or an agency of the University. It is a separate and independent organization which is responsible for and manages its own activities and affairs. The University does not direct, supervise or control the organization and is not responsible for the organization’s contracts, acts or omissions.
Copyright © 2016 The Jefferson Literary and Debating Society. All rights reserved.