Below is the general language of the contract all organizations wishing to reserve the Hall must sign. Upon receipt of a reservation request, the Reservations Coordinator will mail a contract to that organization’s dedicated contact person. No organization will be allowed to use the Hall until a signed contract has been returned to the Reservations Coordinator.
Terms and Conditions
THE JEFFERSON LITERARY AND DEBATING SOCIETY
at the University of Virginia
Reservations and Authorization for the use of Jefferson Hall, Hotel C on the West Range
The Jefferson Society is authorized by the University to make reservations and charge appropriate fees for the use of Jefferson Hall. Such fees will include security deposit, usage, and damage to the facility. Jefferson Hall is available for use on a first-come, first-served and as-is basis. It must be reserved through the Resident of Room Seven, West Lawn at the University of Virginia. This form shall represent agreement to abide by the rules below. The Jefferson Society and the Room Seven Resident reserve the right to modify reservations made for Jefferson Hall at any time.
1. The University of Virginia and the Jefferson Society do not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, or family medical or genetic information. All groups are expected to act in accordance with the University’s non-discrimination policies throughout their use of the Hall.
2. The group I represent is responsible for adhering to all appropriate federal, state, local statutes, and University regulations, including the University alcohol policy throughout our event in Jefferson Hall
3. I, or another designated individual who will be present throughout the event, have attained the necessary approval from the Vice President of Student Affairs for any alcohol to be served at my event, or will do so no later than 1 week before the event. All other alcohol is strictly prohibited and I acknowledge on behalf of my organization that we are responsible for ensuring that anyone attending our event follows this policy.
4. Catering may be provided in Jefferson Hall by the University of Virginia Catering or a catering service approved by the Colonnade Club. Guests may supply their own light refreshments and beverages.
5. Amplified music and dancing are not allowed in Jefferson Hall except with the expressed written consent of the Room Seven Resident. Under no circumstances are candles, other open flames or smoking of any type allowed in Jefferson Hall.
6. All furniture and fixtures must remain in their respective places, including but not limited to the paintings on the walls, bookshelves, chests, desks, and large chairs on the raised platform at the front of the room. The only exceptions to this rule are the lower floor chairs and the large table next to the main door. Chairs and this table may be moved and arranged appropriately by guests, but may not be removed nor placed in the raised area. All furniture must be returned to its original location at the conclusion of the event.
7. Access to the raised platform at the front/east end of the Hall is prohibited except with the permission of the Room 7 Resident. The red chair, the President’s table, and the United States and Virginia Flags may not be used or moved under any circumstances. The two tables in the right and left corners of the Hall may not be moved but may be used if covered with cloths or similar coverings.
8. Following the event’s conclusion, all windows shall be closed and locked, all lights turned off and the front door tightly closed. The side door must remain closed at all times and secured by the wooden slat.
9. I, or the group I represent, will be responsible for cleaning Jefferson Hall upon completion of the event. This includes removing all trash from the floors and tables and disposing of used trash bags in the disposal bin at the end of the alley to the right of the Hall. If using a caterer, it remains my responsibility to see that the Hall is clean by the end of the reservation.
10. The Jefferson Society can in no way be held responsible for violations of federal, state or local statutes, including University of Virginia alcohol policy, that may occur within Jefferson Hall during the course of my event.
11. It is agreed and understood that the Jefferson Society, the University of Virginia, and the Commonwealth of Virginia will not be liable for any bodily injury or property damage resulting from the negligence of the Organization or individuals using Jefferson Hall.
12. Failure to abide by these rules may result in forfeiture of my security deposit and loss of future use privileges. The Jefferson Society reserves the right to seek redress for any damage done to Jefferson Hall or its contents during the course of my reservation.
13. FIRE MARSHALL’S WARNING: ALL EVENTS IN JEFFERSON HALL MUST BE PRECEDED BY AN ANNOUNCEMENT EXPLAINING THAT SMOKING IS PROHIBITED AND THAT, IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, THE ONLY EXIT IS IN THE REAR OF THE HALL. THE SIDE DOOR IS NOT AN EXIT.